Name - Franklin Gorham Burroughs
Birth Date: 28 Dec 1834
Birth Place: Williamston, Martin Co., North Carolina
Death Date: 25 Feb 1897
Burial Place: Lakeside Cemetery, Conway, Horry Co., S.C.
Military Service - C. S. A.
Enlistment Date: 19 Jul 1861 at Camp Marion by Col. Manigault
Discharge Date: Captured at the Battle of Nashville, Tenn. and listed on POW roll dated 15 Dec 1864
Company and Regiment: Co. B, 10th Regt., South Carolina Infantry
Military Unit Details: Co. B was known as the "Brooks Rifle Guards"
Parents: Anthony Burroughs and Ethelinda Cobb
Wife: Adeline E. Cooper
Children: Effie Tolar, Franklin Augustus, Ruth Adeline, Ella Edith, Arthur Manigault, Sarah Best, Donald McNeill, Lucille Norton
Interesting Facts -
Frank Burroughs moved to South Carolina in 1857. Other family members soon followed. He eventually made his home at Snow Hill, on Kingston Lake, where he and his wife, Addie, raised a large family.
Burroughs was captured at the battle of Nashville, Tenn. on 15 Dec 1864, on the Hillsboro Pike Road and was imprisoned in Camp Douglas, Illinois. He and fellow soldiers suffered intensely from the bitter cold of the northern winters due to the deliberate withholding of blankets by Union prison guards. He was released from Camp Douglas (Chicago) June 18, 1865 (one of the last to be released).
After the War, he re-organized his naval stores business and entered into a partnership with William D. Gurganus, calling the business Burroughs & Gurganus. After the death of Gurganus in 1870, Gurganus' interest in the company was bought by Hampton Hart and B.G. Collins. The new partnership was then called Burroughs, Hart and Company. Soon thereafter, Hart sold his interest to B.G. Collins and the name was changed to Burroughs & Collins Company.
The principal business of the company was manufacturing naval stores (turpentine, rosin and tar) and general mercantile stores were established in key locations throughout Horry County. The partnership was incorporated in 1895. Franklin G. Burroughs died in 1897 and around 1910 Collins sold all of his shares in Burroughs & Collins Company, Inc. to Franklin Augustus Burroughs and Donald McNeill Burroughs, two of FGB's sons, however they didn't change the name of the company and it stayed the same for about another 80 years.
In 1912, Chicago businessman Simeon B. Chapin became a partner with Burroughs' heirs when he invested in a portion of the company's property located along the Horry County coastline. That portion of the B & C Company was then named "Myrtle Beach Farms Company". Around the year 1990 both of the companies were reorganized under the new name of Burroughs & Chapin Company, Inc.