Grover C. Suggs
March 25, 1895 - July 29, 1965

From Loris Centennial 1887 - 1987 Souvenir Book

Grover C. Suggs was born March 25, 1895 on Cedar Lane Farm about four miles from Loris, land which his great-grandfather, Charles Suggs, settled before the Revolution. His parents were Lorenzo Dow and Jeanette Cox Suggs. He grew up at Cedar Lane Farm, attended Dothan Grammar School in North Carolina, Tabor City High School and the University of South Carolina where he studied business administration. Suggs served in the infantry in France during World War I.

Grover Suggs met Irene Mullinix, daughter of the Rev. J.L. Mullinix, a Methodist minister originally from Pendleton, when her father was pastor of the Loris Methodist Church. They were married Dec. 23, 1924 and had two children, Margaret Elizabeth (Mrs. E.W. Prince, Jr.) and Edward Carlisle.

Suggs was in the sawmill business for a short time, then went into business with Ben Butler, who had earlier opened the Sanitary Market on Main Street (then Patterson St.) where the Sentinel office is now located. After a short time he bought out Butler. He and Irene operated it until January, 1947, when Vernon Hardee became his partner. In 1950 they expanded the store into what had been the old post, office. This gave them entrances on Main Street and on Railroad Avenue. In 1954 they became part of the Red and White chain. In 1962 Suggs bought Hardee out and continued to operate it until his death on July 29, 1965. Mrs. Suggs continued to operate it until the fall of 1966, when the store closed after having been in business since the 1920s.

When Suggs wasn't busy weighing and packaging meats and vegetables at his grocery, he was busy planning how to produce more and better crops, especially grain, on his farm about five miles from Loris in the Allsbrook section. His love for the land and growing and working crops had grown from his youth. His father told the story that going to town on Saturday was a family treat, but young Grover usually refused to go because there was work that needed to be done in the fields. Throughout his life his main hobby was work, whether on the farm, at the sawmill, at the grocery store, in the church, or whatever ask came to hand.

A progressive agriculturist, he purchased for $7,000 the first cotton picking machine in the area.

Suggs has been recognized for his work and interest in building the Loris United Methodist Church on Broad Street. He served as steward and trustee of the church. He was also a Mason, member of the American Legion and V.F.W. and the Lions Club.

A familiar figure in Loris for many years, this quiet, practical-minded businessman was seldom known to tell a joke, but those who really knew him, knew that a pleasant disposition was underneath the solemn appearance.

See Photo

Biography Index ]  [ Home ]


This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society

A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator
.
©1966-2014 All rights reserved