Wilbert Kenneth Rogers, M.D.

July 7, 1909 - February 8, 1971

From Loris Centennial 1887 - 1987 Souvenir Book; 1987

Wilbert Rogers was born July 7, 1909 in Loris, the son of Neal Monroe and Hattie Ward Rogers. He was graduated from Wofford College in 1932 and the Medical College of Charleston in 1937. He interned at Roper Hospital in Charleston. Later on he did postgraduate work at Cook County Hospital, Chicago, and New York Medical Center, New York.

Dr. Rogers returned to Loris to practice and before long set up facilities for minor surgery and maternity care, beginning with three beds in his office over Wolpert's Department Store. In 1943 he established Rogers Hospital on South Broad Street in the house which had been the Bullock home. He practiced here until the Loris Community Hospital, a long-time dream of his, opened seven years later. He built his own office across the street and included enough space for an associate. Rogers was a charter member of the Horry County Medical Association and was also a member of the South Carolina Medical Association and the Southeastern Surgical Congress, Southern Medical Association and the American Medical Association.

Rogers was an active member of the Loris United Methodist Church where he served on many committees, including the Board of Trustees. He was a Mason, a Shriner and a charter member of the Loris Civitan Club. He also belonged to the American Legion Post 41.

Rogers married (1) Mary Catherine Benton in 1937 and (2) Elizabeth Hardee. He had three children, Sally, Wilbert Kenneth, Jr., and Robert Neal. Rogers died February 8, 1971 at Loris Community Hospital and is buried at Twin Cities Memorial Gardens.

See Photo

Biography Index ]  [ Home ]


This web site is owned by the
Horry County Historical Society, 606 Main Street, Conway, SC 29526-4340.
Telephone 843-488-1966 or Horry County Historical Society

A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Submit information or report content errors to HCHS Web Site Administrator
.
©1966-2014 All rights reserved