KINGSTON – CONWAY

By 1733, Kingston Township had been “marked out” in this area, and by 1737 the town of Kingston was in existence. Since many landowners were non-residents, the township did not flourish. In 1801, the town was renamed Conwayborough. Robert Conway had acquired large landholdings in the area, and in 1805 he conveyed some 223 acres to the town. In 1883, the town name was changed to Conway .

ERECTED BY THE CITY OF CONWAY AND
HORRY COUNTY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION

 

ROBERT CONWAY

  Robert Conway came to this area from Charleston before 1790. He became a large landholder and public official, serving six terms in the South Carolina General Assembly. He was a veteran of the American Revolution, and in 1806 succeeded Peter Horry as Brigadier of the Sixth South Carolina Brigade. Conway died in Georgetown in 1823, at age seventy.

ERECTED BY THE CITY OF CONWAY AND
HORRY COUNTY HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION