SOCASTEE METHODIST CHURCH

This church, originating with services held in a brush arbor, was formally organized by 1818. Its first sanctuary, a log building, was built here soon afterwards on land donated by Philip Elkes. The cemetery, dating from the 19 th century, includes the plots of the Clardy, Cooper, Elkes, Hucks, Macklen, Outlaw, Sarvis, Stalvey, and other early church families.

(Continued on other side)
ERECTED BY HORRY COUNTY , 2004

---

SOCASTEE METHODIST CHURCH
(Continued from other side)

The second sanctuary, a frame building featuring a large portico and square columns, was built in 1875 by W.T. Goldfinch of Conway . Sunday school rooms were added in 1933 and the church was extensively remodeled and enlarged in the 1950s, with work completed in 1957. The present sanctuary was built in 1987.

ERECTED BY HORRY COUNTY , 2004